BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering with Foundation Year
This degree prepares you with the skills and knowledge to succeed in the competitive and diverse field of mechanical engineering.
Mechanical engineers are always in demand around the globe. They create solutions and solve problems, and play a central role in the design and implementation of moving parts in a range of industries. This programme will prepare you with the skills and knowledge that you need to succeed in this competitive and diverse field.
The course will see you apply mathematical and statistical methods, tools, and notations in the analysis and solution of complex engineering problems. You will also develop your capabilities in problem-solving, managing workloads, and communicating with a range of individuals. In your foundation year, you will gain an excellent grounding in the fundamentals of the engineering environment and its principles.
Why should I do the BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering with Foundation Year Degree?
This course prepares prospective engineers for meaningful professional employment in the Mechanical Engineering sector.
You will develop your cognitive, intellectual, and problem-solving skills via key principles of mechanical engineering. The demand for skilled and qualified mechanical engineers is increasing, which is fostered by a transforming economic landscape, driven by the need for advanced engineering solutions.
Upon graduation, you will be able to pursue a career in a wide range of industries. Examples include advance manufacturing, product design, bio medical engineering, and artificial intelligence, among many others. You may also choose to study a master’s in a related subject area.
- Foundation Principles 0 (ATT3037)
- Foundation Principles 1 (ATT3033)
- Foundation Principles 2 (ATT3034)
- Engineering Study Skills (ATT3035)
- Engineering Technology (ATT3036)
- Engineering Environment (AME4061)
- Engineering Principles 1 (AME4062)
- Engineering Principles 2 (AME4063)
- Projects and Systems (AME4064)
- Graphical Communications and Computer Modelling (AME4065)
- Engineering Applications (AME5011)
- Mechanics of Materials and Machines (AME5012)
- Thermofluids and Control Systems (AME5013)
- Engineering Modelling and Analysis (AME5014)
- Engineering in Business and Society (AME5015)
- Major Project (AME6011)
- Advanced Materials and Structures (AME6012)
- Management and Enterprise in Engineering (AME6013)
- Advanced Thermofluids and Control (AME6015)
- Finite Element and Difference Solutions (AME6016)
- UCAS points: 48
- You should have a minimum of two GCE A2-level passes (or equivalent), including any relevant subject; and five GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent), including Mathematics, Science, and English.
- Mature students without these qualifications but with relevant industrial experience or alternative qualifications may be considered.
- Level 3 in related subject
- College-recognised certificated learning equivalent to the above. Where possible Regent College London uses the NARIC database to determine equivalents to GCSE and A level qualifications
- IELTS 5.0 with no less than 4.5 in any band (non-native speakers). We also accept a range of other English language qualifications – please visit our English Language Requirements web page for more details
- If you are an international student, you must take a Secure English Language Test (SELT). You can only take a SELT with one of the following providers: IELTS SELT Consortium including UKVI Academic IELTS, LanguageCert, Pearson and PSI Services (UK) Ltd. Please see here for the minimum scores required for each. You may be required to attend an interview and/or provide a portfolio of work.
- Non-standard and mature student entry: Engineering related work experience and Intention to study meeting
- Edexcel-BTEC Ordinary National Diploma/Certificate in engineering with Level 3 Maths and Science will be considered.
- Students who are deemed to have an insufficient understanding of maths determined by the diagnostic assessment will be required to take additional module ATT3037 (Foundation Principles 0).
How to Apply
Each of our courses have different entry requirements and a different admission process. We encourage you to look at our course pages and the How to apply section for detailed information.
From choosing your desired course, writing your personal statement and submitting the application, you can count on our friendly Recruitment Team for help and guidance at every step of the way. Get in touch to make an initial appointment to discuss your situation.
The BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering with Foundation Year degree is well recognised both nationally and internationally. Once you have graduated with this degree, you will have the opportunity to explore a range of careers in the engineering sector.
Mechanical engineers are employed across many sectors, including aerospace, automotive, chemical, construction, medicine, sport, consumer goods, and electrical. There are career opportunities both in the UK and abroad.
What our students say
I really enjoy the classes that I am part of. The lecturers are very friendly and helpful with every matter . Due to the pandemic I did not have the opportunity to be on campus but I am so excited for next year. I have friends studying in other Universities and I know their experience is not so pleasant as mine. At Regent College lecturers try their best to make everything understandable during online classes. I recommend Regent College to everyone who wants to learn in a peaceful manner and friendly environment. I already recommended to one of my friends and I hope she will join.
I enjoy every bit. Great atmosphere, latest technologies, dedicated SSO/ASO assigned in our learning journey at Regent College. They treat us as a family. Believe in “by the student and for the student”. Student of the month program. Students are involved with senior management, academic team, and student support team.
Regent College helps me in every step of my learning journey. Every day I feel closer to my educational and career dreams. Regent Digital helps me connect to the career world and Scope sessions / Learning Zone to improve my academic learning.
I enjoy the assignment tutorial, support from SSO/ASO and the academic team the most. We are involved in a conversation with the Principal every Tuesday, the best thing I have come across. Our lectures notes and slides are easy to understand. In-class hands-on training and additional reference links make our lecturers top notch. They offer unconditional support and go the extra mile to motivate me.
I recommend Regent College. Regent is helping me to develop and taking me towards my education and career dreams. If I can do it, why not my friends and family. I am optimistic Regent college will help them the way they helped me and continue to help me.
Regent College for me is the Temple of Mind. It is my contract for my future. Regent is a family, where you belong, you feel supported, respected, appreciated, valued. Your opinion matters and you are listened to. It gives you the tools to prepare and be ready to climb the HILL, to create and elevate to achieve your goals and dreams.
I’ve started studying at Regent College to be able to further develop in my career. The college has offered me a lot of support and feedback on my assignments allowing me to be able to aim high and keep working during the week.
I thoroughly enjoy being a student at Regent College. As a mature student, I know that this is the right place for me because I have received immense and timely support from the day I made contact with the college and this has continued throughout. The college does not only focus on the student’s academic success but also provides services to ensure your mental well-being is not compromised. The lectures are interactive and you’re encouraged to take leadership for your own learning. Since joining Regent I can see a huge difference in my approach to learning and that’s given me confidence. There has been huge support since we moved to virtual lectures. The lecturers are constantly reminding students that they can be contacted by email or on MS Teams if we need any support with any aspect of our degree.
Regent College London is the best college in London because since I started studying there I can see they have the best teachers. The teaching is good and helpful and they are also really organised. If you have any problem in the college, the Student Services team is always is there to help you. For me, I think Regent College London is the best College in London.
My academic needs are fully met within a collaborative, encouraging and friendly environment. The importance of education is addressed in well structured program, adequately chosen modules and engaging classes. I do recommend Regent College London.
A very friendly and helpful college. Been an extremely pleasable experience with welcoming and friendly staff and qualified patient and very supportive tutors. In fact the whole experience is being one of feeling of belonging to a family. Being an old person with disability, the encouragement and support I received leaves me overwhelmed with gratitude. I have no qualms to sincerely recommend students to choose Regents College as their first choice of their educational endeavours.
It is wonderful to attend Regent College. Staff are very helpful. My lecturer was awesome. My personal situation was challenging and I wanted to give up on many occasions but the college made me realise that I shouldn’t give up. It’s more than just a college. Staff understand that each student has different personal circumstances. They encouraged me and gave me the strength to complete my degree. Honestly I couldn’t have passed the course without the support of the college. Amazing place to study. The vibe, energy is just what you need to focus and achieve your goals. I have landed a good job. Completing the course has opened up many doors for me and I recommend Regent College. It could change your life.
I joined Regent college in 2018 to do a 4 year business management degree that included a foundation year. It is one of the best decisions that I have ever made. The staff are very kind and helpful, the teachers are professional and the facilities are excellent. I could not ask for more.